"Dog Poisoning can be caused by a number of substances. Time to treatment is always important so call an emergency veterinary service. Do not induce vomiting unless called for by the poison. Before calling give an indication of the amount that was swallowed and any symptoms." There are many substances that are poisonous to dogs, including a number of plants and household chemicals. Click on one of the links below if you are concerned about a specific type of dog poisoning.
For dogs the avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principle known as Persin. The Guatemalan variety, a common one found in stores, appears to be the most problematic. Avocado in dog food should not be a problem if in a product manufactured by a known company.
After a party it isn't impossible for a dog to drink alcohol. Symptoms include staggering, weakness and depression.
Will Antifreeze Kill a Dog?
ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is one of the most dangerous things your dog could ingest. Dogs are attracted to its sweet smell and taste. A tablespoon of antifreeze could kill or cause severe symptoms in a small dog. If you suspect antifreeze poisoning call a veterinary emergency center immediately and induce vomiting. immediately.
Symptoms associated with ingesting caffeine include tremors, heart arrhythmia and seizures. Call your veterinarian immediately. If the symptoms are severe your vet will administer activated charcoal, intravenous fluids or induce vomiting.
- Chocolate is poisonous to dogs and can cause diarrhea and vomiting and in more severe cases vomiting and heart arrhythmias. Symptoms depend on the weight of the dog. Approximately 1 square of unsweetened chocolate for every 10 pounds of weight is a guide for symptom onset. Unsweetened chocolate is 10 times more toxic than milk chocolate. Call your veterinarian immediately with the weight and type of chocolate eaten by your dog. Click here for more if your dog eats chocolate.
Cleaning products can cause burning in your dogs mouth, eyes, nose, stomach and skin. Dangerous products include: Bleach Dishwashing Gel and Detergents Drain Openers Laundry Detergents Oven Cleaner Pine-Sol Toilet Bowl Cleaner Call your poison control center immediately. Your veterinarian will treat your dog for chemical burns. Do not induce vomiting in case cleaning products are caustic.
Overdoses from flea and tick products can cause poisoning in dogs. IF you apply too much of these products could cause severe itching. If you notice an unusual amount of itching then immediately bathe your dog with a mild canine shampoo lathering and rinsing multiple times. Call your veterinarian if you see seizures, excessive drooling or body tremors. Your veterinarian will provide activated charcoal to absorb any toxins and administer fluids if needed.
What to do if dog eats grapes, raisins, onions or garlic?
Chapter 4Grapes and Raisins - Eating 2 ounces per 10 pounds of a dogs weight in grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in a small dog. Tomatoes and tomatoes plants can cause dilated pupils, heart arrhythmias and tremors from the atropine in green tomatoes, leaves and stems. Garlic - 1 If your dog consumes the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of garlic for every 10 pounds of their weight (1 teaspoon for a 10 pound dog) can destroy red blood cells. If you dog eats grapes, tomatoes or tomato plants or garlic look for the common symptoms associated with poisoning - diarrhea, vomiting, weakness or lethargic behavior. Your vet will treat with charcoal, vomiting and possibly intravenous fluid.
Like humans, lead poisoning is dangerous to dogs. Common causes include: - old paint or furniture - construction dust - old flooring made with lead (linoleum) - fishing weights Symptoms of lead poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, anemia (less than normal blood cells). Call your veterinarian who will administer a medication for removing lead from your dog's body.
Macadamia nuts cause temporary paralysis in a dogs hind legs. It is not known what causes this condition. 1 ounce of nuts can cause the condition in a 20 pound dog. Dogs recover from this condition in a couple of days. Contact your veterinarian who will provide activated charcoal, administer intravenous fluids and possibly induce vomiting.
Mothballs that contain the chemicals naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene are dangerous to dogs. Symptoms associated with ingesting mothballs with naphthalene include vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, weakness and collapse. Symptoms with paradichlorobenzene include liver damage, staggering or seizures. Call your veterinarian and read the ingredients to him or her from the mothball box. Your veterinarian will induce vomiting, administer activated charcoal or intravenous fluids. Dog Rat Poison - The same thing that attracts rats to poison, the taste, is the what causes dogs to ingest rat poison. This type of poison can cause dangerous internal bleeding. If you dog has eaten a rat or rat poison call your veterinarian immediately to avoid fatal internal bleeding. Do not wait for symptoms as it might be too late.
Poison made to kill slugs and snails is harmful to digs is it contians the chemical metaldehyde. Many poisons contain sugar to attract the sails and slugs which also attracts dogs. As little as 1 teaspoon can cause dog symptoms such as tremors, twitching and seizures. If you suspect this problem call your veterinarian who will use charcoal to absorb the toxin and possibly induce vomiting.
Over the Counter Medications and Dogs
Over the Counter Medications Most over the counter pain medications are harmful to dogs. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and Naproxen (Aleve): Never give your pet Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or Naproxen (Aleve), since they are toxic at very low doses. These drugs can cause kidney damage, liver damage and stomach ulcers. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is toxic at larger doses and doesn't work particularly well in dogs. This drug can cause kidney and liver damage. Other harmful medications include:
Psuedophedrine (Sudafed) Heart Medications Anti-depressants Flourouracil (Efudex) Calcipotriene (Dovonex) Prescription Skin Creams Isoniazid (tuberculosis medication) If your dog has taken any of these medicines call your emergency veterinarian immediately. Let the veterinarian know the name of the drug and the dosage (the number of milligrams if you have it). For dosages of aspirin and acetaminophen if you see symptoms such as lethargic behavior, vomiting, diarrhea or appetitive loss call your vet. Treatments for any of these drugs can include charcoal to absorb any remaining medication, drugs to protect against stomach ulcers, fluids to flush the drug from the blood and if severe, blood transfusions. Buffered aspirin (Bufferin, Entorin): is prescribed for dogs who have arthritis. Do not give this medicine to dogs that are taking other anti-inflammatory drugs such as Rimadyl, EtoGesic, Deramaxx). Aspirin use can cause stomach ulcers in dogs.
Zinc poisoning is caused by your dog eating objects such as: - post 1982 pennies - hardware - nuts and bolts Symptoms associated with zinc poisoning in dogs include diarrhea, vomitting and anemia (reduced number of red blood cells). Treatment for zinc poisoning it to remove the eaten objects from your dogs digestive system.
Canine Poisoning Symptoms
Poisoning symptoms can vary widely, depending upon the poisonous substance. Some possible symptoms include mouth or skin irritation, drooling, staggering, vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, seizures, and difficulty breathing.
Dog Poisoning Diagnosis
If you suspect your dog is suffering from dog poisoning, you need to take him to a vet. If you know what he ate, take it along with you. You or your vet can contact the local Poison Control Center (look in your phone book for the number) for information about treatment for that particular substance. If you donít know what your dog ate but suspect poisoning, your vet will examine him and make a decision about treatment based on his symptoms. For example, strychnine is commonly used as a rat and mouse poisoning. Unfortunately, it is also a common substance for dog poisoning. Vets can diagnose it by its common symptoms, which include seizures that last about one minute in which the dog throws his head back, canít breathe, and turns blue. The slightest stimulation, such as tapping the dog or clapping your hands will initiate a seizure. Even if your vet cannot diagnose what poisoned your dog, he or she can provide treatment.
Dog Poisoning Treatment
Dog poisoning treatment depends on the type of poison. If your dog has a poisonous substance on his fur or skin, bathe him thoroughly. If it is an oily substance like gasoline, rub vegetable or mineral oil into the spot first, then wash with a mild soap and water. Itís important to wash your dog as soon as possible so he doesnít lick the substance off his fur. If you think he already has been licking the substance, contact your vet. When your dog has ingested a poison, the treatment may involve inducing vomiting. Your vet will give your dog a medication designed to make him throw up. In some cases, inducing vomiting can cause more problems. It depends on what your dog ate. Thatís why itís important to identify the poison if possible. Your vet may also give your dog activated charcoal to prevent the absorption of the poisonous substance. This is given orally, followed by water. The charcoal binds with the poisonous substance, preventing it from being absorbed by the body. A laxative may also be given so that the poison leaves your dogís system faster and the body absorbs less.
24 Hour Dog Poison Control Center
The APCC maintains a poison emergency center 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your dog may have ingested a poisonous substance, call them at (888) 426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card. Also, if you do not find the information you need here, check the ASPCA poison guide.